Waste to energy power plant, Alonsotegui, Biscay, Spain. Zabalgarbi, with its SENER-2 technology, is a high-effi ciency [+]
Municipal solid waste (msw)
SENER has developed and patented high efficiency steam cycles with tried-and-tested robustness in the energy recovery of municipal solid waste (MSW).
This application uses thermodynamic cycles, called SENER-2 and SENER-4, at high steam pressures and low temperatures, that are regenerative and have two phases of pressure: high (superheated steam) and low (reheated steam) in two-stage steam turbines, that are able to exceed the traditional technical and financial drawbacks of the processing of municipal solid waste.
The benefits provided by this SENER solution are:
- reduction of corrosion problems in the furnace (T<400 °C)
- increase of overall performance
Environmental and social:
- primary energy savings through renewables: 47% (≈ 44,000 TEQ/year)
- replacement of primary energy with renewable energy in an amount corresponding to 23,500 TEQ/year
- reduction of CO2 emissions equivalent to 440,000 t/year
- reduction of environmental impact by kWhe
- improved availability and performance
- reduced operating and maintenance costs
- reduced costs for MSW treatment and management
Along these lines, the SENER 2 thermodynamic cycle has been applied in the Zabalgarbi MSW power plant in Bilbao (Spain), which has been in operation since 2004.
Related content with Municipal solid waste (msw)
The President of SENER, Jorge Sendagorta, has been awarded the Honorary Member's medal, which is granted by the Spanish Institute of Engineering (Instituto de Ingeniería de España, IIE). This institution decided to give the distinction to Jorge Sendagorta after he was nominated by the Spanish Association of Naval and Ocean Engineers, in recognition of his professional career. According to the institution: “It's a prize to the engineer, but undoubtedly also to the engineering carried out at SENER, which is spearheading Spanish engineering around the world and in the most innovative sectors."... [+]