Waste to energy power plant, Alonsotegui, Biscay, Spain. Zabalgarbi, with its SENER-2 technology, is a high-effi ciency [+]
Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
SENER has developed and patented high efficiency steam cycles with tried-and-tested robustness in the energy recovery of municipal solid waste (MSW).
This application uses thermodynamic cycles, called SENER-2 and SENER-4, at high steam pressures and low temperatures, that are regenerative and have two phases of pressure: high (superheated steam) and low (reheated steam) in two-stage steam turbines, that are able to exceed the traditional technical and financial drawbacks of the processing of municipal solid waste.
The benefits provided by this SENER solution are:
- reduction of corrosion problems in the furnace (T<400 °C)
- increase of overall performance
Environmental and social:
- primary energy savings through renewables: 47% (≈ 44,000 TEQ/year)
- replacement of primary energy with renewable energy in an amount corresponding to 23,500 TEQ/year
- reduction of CO2 emissions equivalent to 440,000 t/year
- reduction of environmental impact by kWhe
- improved availability and performance
- reduced operating and maintenance costs
- reduced costs for MSW treatment and management
Along these lines, the SENER 2 thermodynamic cycle has been applied in the Zabalgarbi MSW power plant in Bilbao (Spain), which has been in operation since 2004.